CLERICAL AND PASTORAL ADMINISTRATOR: JOB DESCRIPTION
Line of responsibility
The Clerical and Pastoral Administrator will be directly responsible to the Office Manager.
The Clerical and Pastoral Administrator shall be responsible for:
- Assisting her/his line manager with all aspects of the development and effective operation of the administrative function within the school, including that of its extended facilities.
- Assisting her/his line manager with the management of the reception area and assisting during periods of staff absence as required.
- Maintaining the school system/s containing information relating to students and staff.
- The occasional supervising of classes in the absence of a teaching member of staff due to absence to aid effective learning.
Duties and responsibilities
Main duties and responsibilities are indicated below. Other duties of an appropriate level and nature may also be required, as directed by the headteacher.
- S/he shall establish and maintain good relationships with all students, parents/carers, colleagues, suppliers, contractors and other professionals.
- S/he shall assist her/his line manager to ensure the effective operation reception area, so that all aspects of the administrative function are conducted efficiently and accurately.
- S/he shall provide efficient administrative support to her/his line manager and the school’s Head of Year team (Years 7-11).
- S/he shall assist with the smooth operation of school admissions and exclusions including the preparation of associated letters and reports.
- S/he shall support her/his line manager in maintaining communication with governors, professional bodies, outside agencies, other schools and organisations etc and s/he shall attend to associated queries as required.
- S/he shall support the development, implementation and review of administrative procedures and systems, putting in place necessary controls and ensuring they comply with policies and procedures.
- S/he shall be responsible for the circulation of incoming mail and outgoing post including governors’ mailings, taking appropriate action as necessary.
- S/he shall oversee the maintenance and updating of information held on the school system(s) including student and staff records, emergency contacts and data required for the completion of returns, for example, for the DfE.
- S/he shall assist in the entry and extraction of data, the collation and preparation of statistics, management information and reports as required by her/his line manager, governors, auditors, the local authority (LA) and the DfE.
- S/he shall assist in transferring information safely when school system(s) are introduced and/or changed.
- S/he shall assist in the setting up and maintenance of archive files and historical data.
- S/he shall provide assistance to staff with regard to administrative matters within the school.
- S/he shall organise and put in place contingency plans, in liaison with her/his line manager, to meet the needs of the school office in the event of emergencies such as school closures.
- S/he shall report technical faults relating to the school system(s) and equipment to the ICT technician(s) in accordance with school reporting procedures.
- S/he shall ensure that all administrative duties, checks, documentation, reports and returns (internal and external) are completed accurately and within required deadlines.
- S/he shall ensure compliance within the school of data protection regulations.
- To answer incoming and internal switchboard calls, dealing with requests and enquiries and taking messages as required.
- S/he shall deal with correspondence promptly and as required.
- S/he shall attend school events as required.
- S/he shall participate in school emergencies as required, including co-ordinating evacuation arrangements, locating students and relevant staff, providing contact details and completing necessary documentation.
- S/he shall attend training sessions and meetings as required.
- S/he shall keep up-to-date with developments and changes to school policies and procedures and communicate these to colleagues as appropriate.
- S/he shall support her/his line manager in providing information to the headteacher, governing board and its committees as appropriate and when required.
- S/he shall undertake first aid training and responsibilities as required.